Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cora Month 1!

Oh my Cora baby. What a whirlwind of a month we have had. It has been the most amazing month and also the most exhausting. Mostly just emotionally. My heart feels like it's going to burst from emotion at any moment. I literally cannot get enough of you. Even when you cry all day as soon as I get you to sleep and put you in your bed it takes every ounce of strength to not pull you right out and kiss those perfect little lips of yours. You have stolen both mine and your Dad's heart. The first thing he wants to do as soon as he gets home from work is to hold you and give you lots of kisses. We live for your silly facial expressions. We have spent lot of time cuddling in bed just giggling at all your faces. I think you are going to be a very expressive one. Now if only I could get a real smile out of you. It's so incredibly close. You can see it on the edge of your lips you just haven't quite figured out how to let it all out yet. 


 This month hasn't been an easy one for you and it breaks my heart. The first few days of life were incredibly hard and painful. You had some pretty good jaundice so we were having to go get your billirubim tested every day. Of course since you were born right before Thanksgiving weekend the lab that does the test without poking you was closed so we had to poke you. The first time was absolutely horrible. They had never poked a baby so small and the lab tech was terrified. She was shaking so bad as she poked your little heel. Of course it didn't make enough blood and so we had to try and massage it out forever. You were screaming and crying, daddy was crying, the lab tech was crying, and by the end  I was crying too. I tried to be strong but after seeing your baby get poked twice with no luck and knowing you were going to have to be poked again I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. We had to take you to the ER where they tried to find a little vein in your arm to use. Of course, once again, they had no luck. FINALLY after 2 heel pricks and 3 arm draws we were finally able to get enough blood. You were just below being admitted so we were able to go home. Which was a curse and a blessing because we would repeat this process two more times. By the time you were 3 days old you were covered in bruises and bandaids. It was so incredibly sad but we survived. The first day we were able to just hang out at home all day and not take you to the hospital was the greatest.







Your second week of life was much less traumatic. Grandma and Grandpa Nielson came out and you were constantly held and loved. I also was in the midst of learning to breastfeed you. You have been a champ in adjusting from breast to bottle and then back to breast. It took awhile but I think we finally have this breast-feeding thing down. You are hilarious about eating. You absolutely love it. If you wake up and aren't immediately fed you are so incredibly mad. Just screaming and then you frantically latch on and instantly calm down. It cracks me up so much. All that eating has been paying off because your little belly isn't so little anymore and your cheeks just keep growing and that double chin is now a triple. I love all your little rolls.

A good representation of how happy our hambone was this Christmas. 





Around week 3 we noticed a little change in you. It started with two days of projectile vomit and then you started squirming and fighting at eating. You would want to eat so bad but as soon as you would eat if would upset your tummy and you would spit up. It was so sad and a long week until your one month doctors appointment. We tried gripe water and elevating your bed and holding you up while you ate but nothing seemed to help. You were just so sad and uncomfortable. Even when you were sleeping you were squirming and whimpering. It broke my heart. The only way you would really like to sleep was on your belly on my chest. You would also want to eat all the time but only little amounts. We were pretty sure you had acid reflux and I was determined to keep some medicine for you at your doctors appointment. I couldn't take much more of seeing you so miserable. Thankfully your doctor agreed and we started you on some gas drops and Zantac. It didn't immediately make a difference but the past two days you have actually been sleeping again and able to awake and content instead of just crying all the time. I hope it lasts and that we figured out what was wrong. I hated seeing you so sad and its emotionally and mentally exhausting having a crying baby 24-7.






You are quite the spit fire and a mover and groover. You love to stretch out your whole body when you first wake up. It takes quite a few minutes for you to finish all your stretches. You kick your legs like a champion swimmer in the bathtub. You are constantly moving those little arm and legs trying to escape your swaddle. It scares me a little with how much energy you have. I remember our first ultrasound seeing you as a little gummy bear and even then you were moving around like crazy. I think we should have known then that you were going to be an active one. You love it when Dad comes home. He loves to talk to you. You have spent many nights being walked and bounced by Dad while he practices his presentations to you. You know more about daptomycin and other prescription drugs than any other baby your age, i'm sure of it.





I hope month 2 is  a much better one for you baby. No needle pokes (until your shots :( ) and no more belly issues. I just want you to be one happy, loved camper. You make our lives so much more complete. I live for your cuddles after a feeding and your funny facial expressions when you are waking up and falling asleep. You make the most adorable billy goat noise when you are just waking up. It kills me. I knew I was going to love you and love being a mommy but I never imagined I could love you so much. I can never seem to kiss your lips enough or snuggle you close enough. Even when you are a cranky pants I find everything you do adorable. You are the sweetest little spirit and Dad and I are so lucky to have you in our lives and in our home. You make our days infinitely brighter and more full of purpose. Thank you for making me a mommy, baby girl. I love you forever.



Stats
Weight-8 lbs 3 oz
Length- 20 3/4 inches
Loves: her binky, eating, daddy, being read to, drives in the car, and bath time. 

Hates: diaper changes, being snuggled too much, not being fed right away, sleeping, gas bubbles. 

1 comments:

Jessalyn said...

I loved every second of this! And your birthing story. I'm just so happy for you guys!